Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:34:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        Ralph Bunce <Ralph@omnianswers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.4

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Ralph Bunce wrote:

>   Hello.
>  >
>  > I am currently trying to install FreeBSD 3.4 on a "white box" clone
>  system.
>  > It gets to the point to where I select the installation method and it
>  will
>  > not let me install from CD-ROM. It says that it could not detect a
>  CD-ROM
>  > drive. How is this possible, when I booted from the CD and started the
>  > install from the CD?
>  >
>  > Please advise as to what steps to tkae to get FreeBSD to recognize my
>  CD-ROM
>  > drive.
>  > It is a Delta IDE 48x  Model #: OIP-CD4800A
>  >
>  > Any help would be appreciated.
>  >
>  > Thanks and Regards,
>  >
>  > Ralph J. Bunce
>  > Systems Engineer - OMNI Data, LLC
>  > North Haven, CT.  (203) 239 - 5161
>  > ralphb@omnianswers.net
>  >

You need to supply a bit more information.

Which IDE controller is the CDROM connected to?

What does dmesg have to say about finding wd devices?

Is the CDROM jumpered as a slave on port 2 with no master?
  If this is the case, you need to make sure and jumper the
  CDROM as a master.  The 3.4-RELEASE driver does not seem
  like finding a slave with no master on a port.

You might also try searching deja.com for freebsd cdrom not
found.  I was able to bring up quite a few messages very
similar to your problem.

I hope this helps,

*Gene Harris      http://www.tetronsoftware.com*
*   Home of TeamAccess version control for     *
*        Microsoft Office 97 and 2000          *
*   FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE - The Power to Serve    *
*        Redhat 6.1 Secure Web Server          *