Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:52:51 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        Mike Pritchard <pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu>, ache@astral.msk.su (Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/cron/cron do_command.c

> > >I still think that the best way to fix this problem is to require that
> > >the user name that cron intends to send mail to points to a valid login
> > >name (which my fix does).

> > Your fix breaks MAILTO handling according to cron manpage.
>
> How?  The cron man page states:
>        current	minute.   When	executing commands, any output is
>        mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the  user  named
>        in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such
>        exists).
>
> It doesn't sound like cron is saying that it allows anything other
> than a valid user name in the MAILTO varaible.  It doesn't say anything
> about mailing to a mail address, just to a user.  If you need the mail
> to go somewhere else, either setup an account that cron can mail to
> that you can forward in /etc/aliases, or if you are a normal user, use
> one of the mail filtering programs to do it for you.  Cron shouldn't
> have to worry about anything other than delivering mail back to a
> valid local user.

I don't understand the problem completely, but I agree with Mike.  You
shouldn't be allowed to set MAILTO to anything but a local username.
Nothing more, nothing less.  If you need more flexibility then cron
isn't the program to provide it to you.  Any un-necessary flexibility
provided in setuid/setgid programs almost always creates security
bugs.

Nate