Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:14:10 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

At 11:31 AM 11/29/2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>Or SAMBA, which we also shipped on the box?
>
>These were tactical, not strategic; shipping source for these
>wouldn't matter, since they don't contain any intellectual
>property that matters to anyone.  Let people demand the code
>if they want: we include a web page with links to the source
>to everything they could demand, right on the box.

It doesn't seem to me that this would avoid the problems
you mentioned earlier. GPLed code is still infectious.

[Snip]

>If you think these things would need to be exposed, then
>you've missed the concept of "embedded system": all InterJet
>administration was and is intended to be performed via a
>limited set of externalized interfaces, predominantly the
>web UI.

I understand embedded systems very well -- that's one of the
things I do. However, as we all know, selection is a much
less powerful paradigm than specification, and fixing a
box or using it to its full potential often requires the
power of a command line. What's more, the strategic UI code
almost certainly calls on such utilities to do its work and
therefore depends upon them.

--Brett