Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:38:52 -0700
From:      Andrew Konstantinov <andrei@andruxa.sytes.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   portupgrade

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

Hello,
  I've written a simple script to make my life easier, but there is a probl=
em with that script and I can't figure out the source of that problem.

      if [ "$variables" !=3D "" ]; then
	echo "portupgrade -m '$variables' $progname"
	(portupgrade -m \'$variables\' $progname)
      else
	echo "portupgrade $progname"
	(portupgrade $progname)
      fi

  The problem is simple. Whenever this script confronts a program which nee=
ds to be upgraded, portupgrade removes the old version and then script term=
inates without any error messages, while several instances of bash and link=
er continue to run in the background for several seconds, and then also ter=
minate. The new version of the program never gets installed. What I can't u=
nderstand is the reason why the script terminates without any error message=
s while it still has several cycle to go. It doesn't terminate if there are=
n't any programs that need to be upgraded (portupgrade simply responds with=
 the message that there is nothing to upgrade), and goes through the same c=
ycles without spitting out any error messages. My guess is that something w=
eird happens when portupgrade starts to install the upgraded version of the=
 removed program, but I have no idea what exactly that is. I'd be more than=
 thankful if you could point out the place where I do something in a wrong =
way. I also have attached a full version of that script, in case if you wan=
t to take a look at it.

  Thanks

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw--