Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 00:26:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jsuter@uranus.intrastar.net
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Digital Modem choices

Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:53:46 -0500 "Jacob Suter" said:
	[I said...]
>> vendor (Phylon Tech.  at http://www.phylon.com/) looking for help in
>> writing & testing FreeBSD drivers for their cards.  Currently they have
>> W*nNT support.  From the looks of it, it (as well as other vendors cards)
>
>> use the MVIP bus (as used in voice-mail pc's, Computer based Telephony
>> apps, etc.) to tie things together.  But it looks like it's is/will be
>> possible to buy/build your own "ascend" replacement soon using FreeBSD...
>
>But the issue is, would you want your FreeBSD box to catch on fire like
>Ascends like to do?
>
>I've heard stories of several charred Ascend boxes...  And if you can't
>afford a PM3, you just got no excuse to be an ISP (IMHO).

Aw SH*T!  Are we going to to get into the _SAME_@#$%_ argument about this
that breaks out _very_ time someone asks about sync cards & Freebsd-based
routing boxes?

He asked a reasonable question.  I gave him what information I had.
Enough said.

Charred Ascend boxes?  stories, yes, I'll believe _stories_.  Do some
of the loaded out Max boxes run hot?  Yes.  Charred? Burned up? Not
as long as you obey the factory recommendations as to air flow & other
environmental conditions.

No excuse to be an ISP if you can't afford a PM3?!?! I'm _very_ glad
you put the IMHO on that...

To put it in simple terms, being a successful ISP does not _require_
you to use PM3s or Ascends.  Different folks want/like different
solutions.  I'm not use an ISP.  I design networks & systems to
_solve_ the client's problem.  20 years of doing this has taught
me one thing, "There ain't no one answer for every situation."

</Soapbox mode Off>

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting