Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 23:26:53 -0800
From:      "Sean Hamilton" <sh@bel.bc.ca>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   umount -f safety

Greetings,

In short, how safe is umount -f?

I've been given the task of creating a CD jukebox with Samba. I've got a few
dozen ISO images, and a directory with a number of subdirectories named
after all the clients. Then, in samba, I have a share with a path of
/store/images/%m, so each client receives a unique view of that share.

To change CDs, I am executing, for example:

# unmount old cd
umount -f /store/mount/someclient
vnconfig -u vn4

# and mount new one
vnconfig vn4 /store/images/blah.iso
mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn4 /store/mount/someclient

This works great, but I seem to recall reading that umount -f might cause
panics, and since this server is also a network gateway, I'd prefer that not
occur. I need to umount -f because the samba server keeps its working
directory in there, presumably it chroots.

The alternative would be to kill off the samba server serving that one
client, then quickly remount and hope the client doesn't reconnect, but of
course that's a big hack.

The server is running 4.7-RELEASE. I've only recently implemented this, so
it has not seen heavy load, nor has it panicked.

thanks,

sh