Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:40:24 -0400
From:      Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to dual boot freebsd, windows98 with 2 disks?

Is it even possible to configure a computer to have one disk
running windoze 98 and the other FreeBSD?

I have scoured usenet and google and have found very little in
the way of help. i did find one page that claimed
to know the secret. what i did below was based on that site.

I have two hard drives, ad0 and ad1. ad0 has win98 (uhg) already
installed. ad0 is 4.3 gig and ad1 is 10gig

I boot from the 4.3 BSD CD, choose standard install, hit the
space bar to select ad0 which sends me into fdisk. i immediately
quit out of fdisk and choose to install the freebsd boot manager
under BootMgr (this is the default selection). i say "ok" and go
back to the select drives page. i down arrow to ad1 and press the
space bar which takes me to fdisk for ad1.

i make 4 partitions and then choose q. now i'm back at the
install boot manager page for ad1. I choose to install the
freebsd boot manager under BootMgr (this is the default
selection).

Next I am prompted to create the file systems for freebsd on the
ad1 drive. i make the new file systems.

then i go through the process of choosing the type of install i
want to do (in this case a typical user running x windows)

next it starts to make the file system and then starts to install
freebsd starting with /bin and /doc, etc ...

The install to the second hard drive goes without a hitch. When I
reboot I see the booteasy prompt but the only thing there is:

F1 DOS

I can't boot into FreeBSD. I have done this install several
times. once making the root slice of the FreeBSD disk "bootable."

If you are running win98 and freebsd two hard drives please clue
me into the secret of pounding that vile beast 98 into
submission. Can't booteasy do the job?

thanks!
jim