Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:04:55 +0100
From:      Karel Joop Bosschaart <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is sh (or amd) confused about where it is?

On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 08:54:28AM -0500, Robert Withrow wrote:
> Consider:
>
> bash-2.03$ uname -srm
> FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE i386
> bash-2.03$ pwd
> /net/tannu/view/bob-3/tree/bcc
>
> /net/tannu automounts to a Solaris system:
>
> bash-2.03$ amq | grep tannu
> /net/tannu          host    tannu:/net/tannu          /a/net/tannu/root
>
> But if I do this:
>
> bash-2.03$ sh
> $ cd /net/tannu/view/bob-3/tree/bcc
> $ pwd
> /a/net/tannu/root/view/bob-3/tree/bcc
> $
>
> I can deal with the /a (but I'd rather not), but the "root" part gives
> me real gas.  How come bash get it right but sh gets it wrong?  Can
> I convice AMD or shell not to do that?

Just tried something similar on my system (though with tcsh and bash):

[karelj@wop21]~/flatflame> pwd
/mnt/flatflame
[karelj@wop21]~/flatflame> bash
bash-2.02$ pwd
/home/karelj/flatflame
bash-2.02$

~/flatflame is a symlink to /mnt/flatflame. It seems that tcsh's
pwd reports the 'shortest' path, while bash reports the path
how I came there...

Karel.