Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:25:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Ken Hawkins <rosewoodblues@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: complete rookie sendmail question

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Ken Hawkins wrote:

> alright I found an old blurb about handling a scenario similar to mine:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-July/014468.html
>
> it essentially says:
>

> If you want to get FreeBSD to forward your email to the MS-Exchange
> server, you have to:
>
>    1. make sure sendmail is running. (ie remove sendmail_* lines from
>       /etc/rc.conf)

Put sendmail_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

>    2. # cd /etc/mail
>    3. # cp freebsd.mc `hostname`.mc

That's doing things the hard way and might miss things the Makefile will
do for you.  Just:

# cd /etc/mail
# make

>    4. edit `hostname`.mc and uncomment the following line:
>
>            define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')
>
>    5. replace `your.isp.mail.server' with your Exchange server.

Or any mail server you are allowed to smarthost through.

>    6. # make
>    7. # make install
>    8. # sh /etc/rc.sendmail restart

Should be:

6. make all install restart

which combines steps 7 and 8.  6 was already done above.

> can anyone point me toward what I require to create a domain file for our
> <box name> in the /usr/share/sendmail/cf/domain/ area?

Let /etc/mail/Makefile help you by using make as shown above.