Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:40:19 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understanding messages from mly driver under 4.3 release

> --k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G
>
> I have recently set up a RAID system built around a 4.3 release box
> and a Mylex AcceleRAID 170 Raid controller.  I am using the latest driver fro
> m:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/mylex/mly-20010618.tar.gz
>
> I am seeing the following messages from the RAID subsystem. Hopefully
> somebody can help me understand what these messages are trying to tell
> me.  I searched the archives without any luck.  If these messages have
> already been discussed, please let me know and I will do some more
> digging. (-;
>
> Aug 14 23:11:59 saru /kernel: (da1:mly0:1:0:0): error code 0
> Aug 14 23:13:29 saru /kernel: (da2:mly0:1:1:0): SYNCHRONIZE CACHE. CDB: 35 0

This is harmless.  CAM is a bit overzealous at reporting this as an
error; the driver should probably mask it.

> Aug 14 23:47:00 saru /kernel: mly0: physical device 0:3  sense data received
> Aug 14 23:47:00 saru /kernel: mly0:   sense key 11  asc 47  ascq 00

This is bad; sense key 11 is "ABORTED COMMAND"; I don't know what the
asc/ascq values mean.  I would be concerned about the disk at ID 3.

> Initially the RAID seemed to be performing fine except for the above
> messages.  I just managed to hang any process that attempts to acess
> the RAID. The process table shows the following for the hung processes:

I think there may still be some races in the mly driver; I thought the
new version in -current was better (you can pull the sources from
-current and try them yourself), but at least one test site has reported
they are still having trouble.

I have not had time to work on this recently; I'd hoped to get it fixed
for 4.4, but that's not looking likely right now.

Sorry. 8(