Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:10:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Amnesiac and no user ppp

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Michael Alwan wrote:

> No go on all your suggestions.  Unfortunately, I ftp'd the 2.2.1 release
> directly into my bsd partition, instead of to a dos partition--so I can't
> reinstall without hours of downloading.  I do have the 2.1.7 binaries on a
> dos partition.  I wanted 2.2.1 for compatability with the oss soundcard
> driver from 4front, but I can't get it to work anyway.

You can install from the local filesystem, just select a UFS install and
point it at the directory.

> Why reinstall?  Well, noticed a couple of wierd things.  My home directory
> (/usr/home/michael) may be corrupted somehow: when I "ls" it the contents
> display as one column on the left.  Only in this directory: subdirectories
> of /michael display correctly.  I tried backing up /michael, deleting the
> directory and copying back; the same problem EVENTUALLY appears.  (Is this
> because I'm dumping too much stuff into /michael--xemacs, netscape, big
> caches from netscape?).  Maybe I should have deleted /home too.

ON the ls, you probably have a *long* filename in there which causes ls to
reformat the multicolumns to a single column.  This happens to me every so
often.  /michael may not have such a long name.

> When I ftp'd 2.2.1, the installation did give me a host name--it was an
> internet address--I think it was the nameserver of my ISP, or maybe the
> dynamic adddress they assign me.  In any case, the problem seem to have
> started after I changed this default hostname in sysconfig.

Don't worry about this name, it's used by your ISP only.

> Unless someone has another suggestion, I'm going to reformat the bsd
> partition and reinstall some distribution--maybe download 2.2.1 again.
> What fun!

Ugly.  It may be what you need to flush it to make it work...