Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:55:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskcheckd goes nuts on /dev/cd0

Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> wrote:

> I think diskcheckd.conf should check no disks by default.

My opinion, too.  (After i suddenly noticed it checks anything by
default...)

>  Checking is bad for many types of disks.  It's bad for all disks on
> laptops running off batteries.

And for many other disks, it doesn't gain anything.  Except for
laptops, i generally don't buy ATA disks.  For a good SCSI disk,
disckcheck won't report anything.  It has the only side effect of
remapping a bad block, perhaps a bit earlier than it would have been
remapped during normal operation.  (If the disk really goes bad, it's
very likely that diskcheckd will be too late to detect it anyway.)  So
for me, diskcheckd could only be useful if it would also read out the
SCSI defect lists, and compare them on a daily basis so i get an early
warning about remap activity.

I'll add the knob to turn it off in sysinstall, which phk forgot to
add when he added it to rc.conf.