Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:48:17 +0500
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        "'Jan Schlesner'" <jschlesn@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>, "'Ronan Lucio'" <ronan@melim.com.br>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: non root XFree-4

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 03:23:56PM -0200, Ronan Lucio wrote:
> > I have installed FreeBSD-4.4 + XFree-4_1 + Kde-2.2
> > Everything works fine except for the XFree just works
> > with root, when I do a startx by a normal user, it returns
> > a error:
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > xf860OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions You
> > should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm. We strongly
> > advise against making the server SUID root!
>
> If you don't want use xdm or kdm, you must install the x11/wrapper
> package.  (/usr/ports/x11/wrapper)

I tried using xwrapper with xfree off the 4.4 CD, and I find that
wrapper nukes my XFree86 file, and if I rerun XF86Setup, I can get my
config back, but now it says to go and install xwrapper again. Rinse.
Repeat. I have gotten it working before with x4.1.0 from ports before,
though, am I missing something?