Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 12:51:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.hsc.fr>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Subject:   Re: Re(2): Re(2): Standard Shipping Containers - A Proposal for Distributing FreeBSD

Richard Wackerbarth écrit / writes:
> Nate responds:

	[...]
> > > Since those who have the direct access are not really inhibited by this
> proposal, I suggest that you reconsider it in view of the other 99.99% of the
> folks for whom my assumptions apply.

	[...]
> I'll take another shot at that comment. It is no wonder the Linux is more
> popular.

	The reason Linux is  more popular is that it  was very tied  to the
	Minix community early  in its life.  (Many  people owning 386s then
	were looking  for a system with  real memory protection).  Also, it
	was the  first freely available Unix, and  still  benefits from the
	early start.

> I'm glad that Jordan doesn't adopt your "keep it hard to do"
> attitude. There are thousands who manage to get the sources IN SPITE OF THE
> DIFFICULTIES in their way.

	Errm, so far I've only seen a majority of people satisifed with the
	installation procedure (like  those  "great work guys" messages  we
	see popping up every once  in a while)  AND the source distribution
	system  ("Wow,  it's much easier  to  keep up with  FBSD, 'cause at
	least there's only one source). IMHO, Linux  is STILL a pain in the
	ass, and  3/4  Linux owners around  me are  "waiting  for  that new
	Debian release so I can trash my xxxx".  Not to mention keeping the
	kernel in  sync  with the rest  of the   system  when Torvalds goes
	epileptic.

> Whetheror not they SHOULD be getting them is
> another question. But they do. And in doing so, they consume a very large
> amount of "our" computer resources. If we can make it possible for them to do
> things more efficiently, everyone will benefit.

	If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It.

> The things that I suggested are really only minor changes to the operating
> procedure. But those changes and have a major impact on the ease of use of the
> final product.

	What  do  people  think ?  So   far  I've seen  one complaint about
	ftp.ee.freebsd.org.

								-- Phil
--
| Philippe Regnauld |_______Herve Schauer Consultants_______| regnauld@hsc.fr |