Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:45:23 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
To:        Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Remote access to HP Proliant hardware available to fix the problem with failing booting 9.0 on ciss(4), HP SmartArray P410i

23 nov 2011 kl. 02:20 skrev Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>:

> On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 14:59 -0800, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> When installing 9.0 RC1 on our HP servers, we of course wanted to use gpt=
 intead of fdisk. However, it doesn't work.
>>=20
>> First I tried gptzfsboot, it failed with an error (see this thread:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2011-August/026175.htm=
l)
>>=20
>> Second, I tried a standard gptboot, it just goes into a boot loop.
>>=20
>> Seriously, we have a couple of idle machines with ciss(4) and an iLO (for=
 remote connections). If someone has the knowledge and time to try and fix t=
he problems with ciss and gpt boot, we have the equipment for it.
>>=20
>> We tried with a standard vanilla zpool, no mirror or raid at all, on top o=
f a ciss raid-5, and it failed with RC1. [trying RC2 now, but seems nothing i=
s changed?].
>>=20
>> Anyone up to the task of finding this culprit, we can let you into the ma=
chine remotely through the iLO. Please let me know.
>>=20
>> Best reagards
>> Palle Girgensohn
>=20
> I just got done with an HP DL160G6 with a P410 raid-5 configuration in
> the freebsd.org cluster.  I definitely had to use RC2 due to some type
> of disk issue.  I suspect that
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D227400 fixed it.=

>=20
> Sean