Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:48:53 -0400
From:      "Remo Lacho" <Remo.Lacho@verizon.net>
To:        stable@jnielsen.net
Cc:        bob@immure.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the new ATA driver vs. vinum

I too have set up a RAID0 array on a ServerWorks ROSB4 (non-raid) controller
(but not on a production machine!), that has worked flawlessly so far.

However, prior to setting up the array (and until the drives' mode was set to
"PIO4") the ata sub-system kept crashing continuously.

It would seem that if the atacontrol binary ever becomes stable  -- and can
run ata disks at their top rated speed -- vinum will be getting a run for its
money.

My experiences with vinum have all ended tragically.  It has never been
production level for my needs.

When (and if) atacontrol becomes stable, you will be getting champagne for
the price of beer!