Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 96 22:35 PST
From:      jhenders@bogon.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Newsgroups: local.freebsd.questions
From: jhenders@bogon.com
Subject: Re: User-level and administrative diff's between BSDi and FreeBSD?
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 06:35:16 GMT

In <Pine.BSF.3.91.960102225439.229A-100000@complete.org> goerzenj@complete.org (John Goerzen) writes:

>I may be wrong, but I thought that Taylor UUCP could be configured (or
>compiled) to use HDB configs.

>On Sun, 31 Dec 1995, Donald Burr wrote:

>> I know there'll be differences, and I'm expecting that: f.e. I know that
>> BSDi uses its own UUCP derived from the original BSD UUCP, with its own
>> enhancements, while FreeBSD uses Taylor UUCP with the weird Taylor-style
>> config files (I much prefer standard HDB configs, but that's another
>> story).

Taylor can be compiled to use HDB, the original BNU and it's own config
files, in a mix or individually. BSDI seems to want to use BNU style
L.sys etc files, but Taylor is a trivial port to BSDI so I just replaced
it. I don't know if the FreeBSD version of Taylor is compiled to
understand all the different config files, but I think it should be if
it isn't. I just compiled my own version when I installed FreeBSD, as I
have legacy HDB files and really can't be bothered to convert. I also
can't stand the spool directory choice of splitting D and X files into
D. and X. directorys. Makes checking file consistancy on spools more
complicated than it needs to be. I don't understand what it's supposed
to buy you.

Other than trivial differences like uucp config though, I find FreeBSD
and BSDI fairly similar from an administation standpoint, almost all the
files are in the same places, reconfig of the kernel is very similar.

The only problems I've had so far are a lot of weird tty/console
problems in FreeBSD that I haven't run across in BSDI, Linux or even
SCO. My favorite editor, an obscure Jove variant works fine under the
afformentioned OS's, and even under pcvt, but won't work in syscons, and
can't find the COLS and LINES in an xterm or rxvt. ;-(.

--
      Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.