Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 18:27:30 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another Browser, Was: IE for FreeBSD

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 06:39:58AM -0700, Mark Hendriks wrote:

> So you want an alternative to Netscape?  Look at www.opera.com.
> They're working on a Linux version of their browser.  I've used
> Opera on Windows 3.1, and I have to say that I like it.  I had
> to give it up, because it requires 6MB of ram, and I only have 4
> (I've had difficulty trying to upgrade because of the motherboard.)
> Still, Opera ran better on my machine than Netscape 3.0, most of the
> time.  The lack of memory in my machine, combined with the @#$%ed
> up memory management scheme in Windows meant that Opera would crash
> when I went to a site with large JPEGs.  Netscape actually requires
> much more memory, but it only ran real slow, as opposed to crashing.
>
> Please don't be annoying with this company.  This is a company that
> I really do want to support FreeBSD.  So what can you do?  Get the
> Linux version, and let them know that while FreeBSD will generally
> run Linux software, a true FreeBSD version would be better.  Inform
> them about FreeBSD resources on the Net, and let them know that
> there is a whole community knowledgable of users willing to offer
> support for development.

I'll agree with you about Opera. I'm waiting for the Linux version
to appear. The Windows version excellent, it loads many times faster
than NS, which is not surprising since it's only just over 1MB:

-rwxr-xr-x  0 root  wheel  1228800 Nov 16  1998 Opera.exe

It also has one *really* great feature the NS doesn't have; you
can tell it to save a webpage and it saves all the graphics as
well. This is useful for pages that have diagrams on them (jumper
diagrams, wiring diagrams etc.).

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.