Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:09:12 -0500
From:      Roger Miranda <rmiranda@digitalrelay.ca>
To:        Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PF error message looping on screen.  System Locked.

Thanks for everyone's help, it has been insightful.

I did make the following changes to:

rdr on $int_if inet proto tcp from any to any port www -> \
=A0127.0.0.1 port 3128
pass in log quick on $int_if inet proto tcp from any to \
=A0any port 3128 flags S/SA keep state

Just now it looks like the rdr line is not redirecting anything to squid on=
=20
port 3128.

Could line be more for a NAT environment?

Any suggestions?

On Saturday 16 June 2007 10:20, Volker wrote:
> On 06/16/07 15:26, Roger Miranda wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 June 2007 10:19, Volker wrote:
> >> [re-added cc:pf to have a wider audience, please keep this]

> >> Roger,
> >>
> >> I don't think this message is related to your trouble. I think you can
> >> also avoid these messages by adding 'no scrub' to your pf.conf (I'm
> >> currently not aware of any side effects by adding this).
> >>
> >> Probably Max has some more suggestions on not scrubbing packets.
> >>
> >> You should get a debugger into your kernel (like Max suggested) and
> >> probably also use `pfctl -x loud' or `pfctl -x misc' to get more
> >> messages out of pf. If these messages are popping up again, break the
> >> system into the debugger and look for the messages (using 'scroll
> >> lock' to scroll back some pages), ps and a backtrace.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Volker
> >
> > Alright, I have encoutered the loop messages again today.
> > I have debug set to loud and "no scrub" is in pf.conf.
> >
> > I managed to get a 5 sec. video of the loop. Get it at:
> > http://64.201.181.165:82/pfloop.avi
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Roger
>
> Roger,
>
> watched your video (the next time, please mix some nice music in...
> just kidding).
>
> I've seen tons of 'pf: loose state match' messages. After seen this, I
> took again a look at your rules and am wondering about this one:
>
> rdr on $int_if inet proto tcp from any to any port www -> \
>  127.0.0.1 port 3128
> pass in log on $int_if route-to lo0 inet proto tcp from any to \
>  any port 3128 keep state
>
> I've never tried a combination like that but I think it might be
> dangerous. When a packet arrives your $int_if with a destination port
> 80, the rdr rule will replace the destination address to 127.0.0.1
> port 3128. The pass rule will route that packet to lo0. I think you
> can safely avoid that extra step.
>
> Try it just like:
>
> rdr on $int_if inet proto tcp from any to any port www -> \
>  127.0.0.1 port 3128
> pass in log quick on $int_if inet proto tcp from any to \
>  any port 3128 flats S/SA keep state
>
> and see if you still see error messages. (Please note the missing
> 'route-to' statement, an added quick statement and the added 'flags
> S/SA' option)
>
> If that doesn't help, I recommend rewriting your rules a bit and use
> 'set state-policy if-bound' (which I'm using most as I find it better
> to administer). Unfortunately I don't have experience with
> state-policy if-bound in a bridged environment (just a little warning).
>
> HTH
>
> Volker

=2D-=20
Roger Miranda
rmiranda@digitalrelay.ca
Cell: 204.228.2032

Digital Relay Inc.=20
1130 Wall Street Winnipeg, MB =A0 =A0 R3E 2R9
Phone:  204.480.1234
=46ax:	204.480.3866
www.digitalrelay.ca