Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:14:28 -0500
From:      "Ziller, James" <James.Ziller@qg.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dependency hell

Hello all,

	It's been awhile since I used FreeBSD but I've been itching to try
5.x so I installed it the other day.  Im having big problems with the ports
collection and dependencies even though I've read through multiple docs on
using portupgrade which is suppose to make dealing with dependencies easy.
I apoligize if I'm missing something obvious here but I'd appreciate any
help because I am not seeing any easy solutions.

Problem in a nutshell:

I install FBSD 5.2.1
Grab the latest ports tree
portsdb -Uu

Now,for example, I use portupdate to install a port that requires the latest
version of expat - so expat is upgraded and I now have libexpat.so.5

Xterm no longer works because it depends on libexpat.so.4

Making a simple symlink from libexpat.so.4 to libexpat.so.5 will allow xterm
to run again - but of course that's a dirty disgusting way to do things.
>From what I understood, pkgdb is the tool to fix this, but running pkgdb -F
will not prompt me to change xterm dependencies from libexpat.so.4 to
libexpat.so.5. This has been the case with a handful of other libraries that
have been upgraded.  Surely I don't need to recompile Xfree86 and everything
else thats looking for libexpat.so.4 or another library that has been
upgraded...right???

Heres an example with pango, which was upgraded with portupgrade.

[alhazred@jziller lib]$sudo pkgdb -F
--->  Checking the package registry database
[alhazred@jziller lib]$

Ok, so everything should be fine right?

[alhazred@jziller lib]$epiphany
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libpangoft2-1.0.so.200" not found

...but it isnt.

[alhazred@jziller lib]$ls -lah libpangoft2*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    167K Apr 19 08:11 libpangoft2-1.0.a
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     22B Apr 19 08:11 libpangoft2-1.0.so ->
libpangoft2-1.0.so.399
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    148K Apr 19 08:11 libpangoft2-1.0.so.399

Shouldn't epiphany have been updated to use the new pango with pkgdb -F?
What am I doing wrong??
Please help figure out what I'm missing here!

Thanks,

James Ziller
Information Systems

Quad/Graphics - Q/DS