Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 23:38:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        ken@plutotech.com (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, dburr@pobox.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! - "parity error during data-in phase" when using CD-R drv

As Kenneth D. Merry wrote ...

> > If it were the cable, the other devices wouldn't work either.  And it
> > wouldn't explain why this happened suddenly.
>
> It could be the connector on the CD-R, and not the cable.  Unfortunately
> narrow SCSI devices have the pins on the device instead of the cable.  It's
> much better, IMO, to have fragile things like pins on the cable, which is
> much cheaper to replace.

Narrow connectors have much more robust pins. But there is something worth
checking:

-does the connector on the drive have a SCSI connector that is surface mount
soldered to the PCB? I hope you know what I mean.

I once suffered the most mysterious problems using a DAT streamer. It proved
that one of the pins had been 'lifted' out of the solder on the PCB.
Sometimes it worked fine, sometimes not. You can try by 'wiggling' the cable
to see if it works if you push it one way or the other.

> > > It may not support those operations.  How old is the CDR?
> >
> > If it doesn't support the operation, it would say so.  A parity error
> > suggests that there's something wrong with the connection or the
> > device.  We've ruled out the connection.
>
> It doesn't rule out the connection, since the cable can be good and the
> drive connector can be bad.

I second Ken. This smells like a bad connection of some sorts. A connector
punched to the flatcable that is slightly misaligned with respect to the
cable wires is also something that makes you bang your head to the wall.
I had that happen to me twice. The replacement cable had the same problem
Argh :-(. All other devices on the same cable worked fine.

Advice: take a *very* close look to your cable and CDR drive's connector.

Wilko