Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:53:19 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@freefall.freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dup3() - I've thought it over and decided...

In message <20682.858762363@time.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
: Anyone remember a timesharing system called ITS (from MIT)?  If you
: got disconnected from the modem (not uncommon in those days of
: Pennywhistle, 300 baud acoustically-coupled modems :-) you wouldn't
: lose your session, like you do under UNIX, rather the next time you
: logged in it would ask you:
:
: [Attach your detached tree?]
:
: And if you said 'y' you'd get your old process tree back, everything
: right where you left it.

VMS kinda did this too.  Its terminal driver was "detachable" and you
could then "attach" a new tty.  Basically, you had an upper level
interface (the virtual TTY) and a lower interface (the physical
hardware).  An instance of a tty could talk to any physical device[*].
Maybe something like that would be a useful abstraction.

I actually think that you can likely do the terminal redirection in a
souped up pty driver.  I think that doing one per command is insanely
expensive, but some abstraction like VMS might help, since the detach
did the right thing wrt buffered I/O and the like.

Warner

[*] well, to the bottom half of the driver, so things like DECnet
terminals and TCP/IP Telnet session stuck around when the net flaked
out.  Very handy back when I was at the slow end of the net (a 9600
baud link to sri-nic on the arapa net).