Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 16:52:01 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>, "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, sheldonh@uunet.co.za, swb@grasslake.net, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ucd-snmp

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 06:18:37PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Let's take removing Samba as an example:
> >
> > 1.  pkg_info | grep -i samba
> >
> > 2.  wait for a long time.
> >
> > 3.  pkg_delete samba-2.0.6
> >

> > Using pkg_remove,
> >
> > 1.  pkg_remove -n samba
>
> What I don't understand is why the next generation of package hackers
> (and I salute anyone intrepid enough to go hacking on that evil code)
> hasn't just *extended* the current feature set, as is the Unix Way, to
> cover the "wildcard" case rather than creating yet another pkg_foo
> command to remember the name of.
>
> In other words, it's always been a failing of pkg_delete and pkg_info
> that they don't take "samba" as an argument and DTRT with it.  Then
> you wouldn't need to know the exact version number of samba just to
> delete the thing, and commands like "pkg_info sam*" would also behave
> as expected.  I can even think of how to do it easily with fts(3) and
> regex(3), it's really not a big job.  I'm also done with that code,
> however, I disowned it long ago! :-)
>
> If you want to add a really useful new command to the pkg_install
> command set, I recommend implementing pkg_upgrade.

Or why not ask Dag-Erling Smørgrav nicely to add a deinstall option to
his whizzy porteasy? http://people.freebsd.org/~des/software/porteasy

If you give porteasy an incomplete port name, it lists all the possible
completions :)

parish# porteasy -l netscape
can't find required port 'netscape', maybe you mean:
  netscape-remote-1.0
  netscape-gold-3.04
  netscape-navigator-4.72.us
  netscape-3.04
  netscape-communicator-4.08
  netscape-communicator-4.72
  netscape-communicator-4.72.us
  netscape-navigator-4.08
  netscape-communicator-4.07.us
  netscape-navigator-4.72
parish#

BTW, why isn't porteasy in the ports, or even the base system, yet?

> - Jordan

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX