Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 20:21:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        proff@iq.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nasty problem with vnode and other disk drivers?

proff@iq.org said:

> > It isn't expected behavior, but raw, block devices currently need I/O on
> > 512 byte boundarys for integrals of 512 byte lengths.
> >
> > John
> >

> /dev/rvn0 is a character device. /dev/vn0 is the block device.

I understand, as I said (raw, block device) is a type of character
device.  So is a tty.  Try seeking on a tty -- it won't skip characters,
but it is possible to implement.  Such (raw, block device) types usually
support aligned transfers only (even on some SVR4 derivatives.)  If you
want to do unaligned transfers, it is best to do some buffering.  There
might be something coming along in the future, but not now.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org