Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 10:58:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Never Mind Was: Domain Name For Sale

In lists.freebsd.chat you write:

>After looking a little closer I see that transferring ownership is not as
>easy as I thought. In any case, the new owner will be billed in full for a
>"new" registration by the Internic.

>***
>http://rs.internic.net/reg-change/rncafaq.html

>If the domain name is being transferred from one party to another, the
>domain name must be in a paid status before the transfer can occur. After
>the transfer, the new Registrant will be invoiced for a new registration
>fee. The former Registrant will not receive a refund of its registration
>fee.
>***

>This means that I can't offer anyone a better deal than they would get for
>buying there own brand new domain. Oh Well.

What you always can do is transfer nameservers, admin/tech/billing contact
to somebody else. Then later change the postal address and you're all set,
especially in your case where the "company" name is "High Performance Net"

Basically you're *not* transferring the domain, simply changing all it's
bits.

Usually this is not so easy since you've tied an actual company to it.

And yes, this is a very big pain in the ass. I've been through it at the
beginning of this year where they didn't require lawyers yet and it took us
two months and more in phone costs to the internic's not-so-very-competent
frontdesk than the actual registration fees.

On the other hand, hey, it's a cool name, do you really want to give it
away now because of $35?

Michael
--
\|/