Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 07:09:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kb6ibb@gci-net.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/18655: 4.0-RELEASE Fails to install

>Number:         18655
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       4.0-RELEASE Fails to install
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
4.0-RELEASE fails to install.  During boot from floppy all hardware is
detected.  The install will continue as normal until it comes time to
start the copy of "bin" onto the hard disks.  At about 3% the system
will lock up.  No keyboard function is available.  A cold boot is
required.

>How-To-Repeat:
Install FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.
>Fix:
I have a feeling this problem is in the new disk driver.  I am using a
computer that has a CMD640B controller.  I belive that the driver did
generate a warning of some type, however it goes by so fast I am unable
to get the exact message.  There is no way to access dmesg to read the
possible warning.

The fix for my problem was to install FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE.