Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:22:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   compress will now get an infinite loop on some types of bad input...

Well -

 I just noticed that my news wasn't flowing too well, so...

 I looked in /usr/spool/news/in.coming (I run an old version of Cnews)
to find *gads* of input files, and one _very_ large nruntmp.NNN.

 So, a quick ps tells me that the compress program has been
running for two days!

 This is the first time such a problem has cropped up.

 What happens here is that, either uucp, or my disk drive, has
corrupted a compressed batch from my newsfeed....  so compress
is getting really confused.

 I tried the 1.1 compress, and it quickly ends with:

       uncompress: corrupt input

I then tried 2.0, 2.0.5, 2.1 and 2.1.5 - all of these get the
infinite (well, extremely long anyway) behavious - that is, they
before I got tired of it...

 I'm not sure who to send this to; suggestions?
Should I just do a send-pr with the corrupted input?

	- Dave Rivers -