Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:26:25 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java on FreeBSD 5.0

At 11:42 AM +1000 4/24/03, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>It is a little complicated right now and the web site
>documentation is very meagre. But the general gist is:
>
>1. install the linux_base port
>2. install the linux_jdk port
>3. install the FreeBSD JDK which will require you to manually
>    download the JDK from Sun and then manually download the
>    patchset from
>    http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk14.html.

Okay, I installed the port for  linux_base-7.1_3
Then I installed the port for   linux-sun-jdk-1.4.1_2
when I try to make the port for java/jdk14
and it hangs right after printing out
    bsd i586 1.4.1-p3 build started: 03-04-24 19:45

In 'ps', I do notice some processes of:
    /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.1/bin/java -version

which seem to be just sitting there.  I also notice a
process:

   /bin/sh -c /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.1/bin/java \
     -version 2>&1  | /usr/bin/awk -F'"' '{ print $2 }'

which implies that running java with '-version' is supposed to
just print out the versions and exit.  If I run that by hand,
it does not seem to do the "and exit" part.

This is on freebsd-current, built April 22nd.  SMP machine.
This is also the first time I've tried to build any of the
java stuff.  This might be a problem in -current, but I thought
I'd mention it.

Also, I managed to end up with a '(javac)' process that had a
process-id of zero.  Seeing that did not give me a warm-and-fuzzy
feeling, so I rebooted...