Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:41:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co (Pedro Giffuni)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au, srn@flibble.psrg.cs.usyd.edu.au, freebsd-platforms@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To share or not share ? (was: Someone working on a SPARC version?)

> > You are talking about a large scale code merge and a restructuring of
> > the build tree.  I agree totally, 100%.
>
> I find the word "merge" big for this situation (of course, I'm also
> finding out you think BIG). To merge you need two parts joining into
> one. We will "share", "copy", "adopt" some of their things, but they
> will not adopt our things and if they do, the resulting systems will be
> different.
>
> To be more specific, we want our PC devices like they are right now (or
> with very slight, trivial changes). It is not clear how this would
> change if the build tree changes. On NetBSD the devices suffered this
> effects so would have to face it sooner or later.

I think it would benefit Alpha and PPC based bxes with PCI and other
"PC-like" busses.  This is what Gassee meant when he said "the PC clone
organ bank" with reference to the design of the BeBox.

> So ..what goes on? Should we leave the reshuffle for 20.0-current?

A CVS guru needs to move the CVS tree contents around without losing
the history.  The next step ought to be giving such a guru carte blanche,
after deciding how the multiplatform FreeBSD tree should look (I have
no problem with using the NetBSD or OpenBSD model, which is why I phrased
it as an afterthought).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org