Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:12:32 -0500
From:      Zach Johnson <xopl@execpc.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't load root fs with onboard ATA100

Hello, I'm using FreeBSD 4.1-Release on an ABIT KA7-100 system that has
primary and secondary ATA66 interfaces along with a Highpoint
Technologies HPT370 ATA100 interface.  I've got a Maxtor Diamond Plus
ATA100 drive.

First things first, I couldn't install on this drive while plugged into
the ATA100, so I installed plugged into the primary ATA66.

After plugging the drive back into the ATA100, it booted just fine.  At
the boot prompt, lsdev shows me my drive and it's
slices/partitions/files.  Then I 'boot'.

The screen scrolls while displaying the hardware it is finding.  First
it finds atapci0 (my ATA66 interface), and depending on what I have
plugged in there, it may find ata0 and ata1.  Then, it finds atapci1 and
lists ata2 (my harddrive).  FreeBSD calls atapci1 a HighPoint Tech
HPT366 ATA66 controller.  This is the ATA100... same IRQ, same I/O
ports.  I'm guessing it calls it the HPT366 because ATA100 drivers
aren't at a release stage for FreeBSD.

After inspecting 'ata0-slave' and 'ata1-slave', FreeBSD displays:

'ata2-master: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
ata2-master: identify failed'

Unfortunately, after this, 'ad2' is not listed.  Even with a CDROM
plugged into the ATA100, no 'acd#' is created.  I get the same identify
failure errors.  Since there is no ad2, I get 'can't find root
filesystem' errors, and FreeBSD dumps me to a mount root> prompt.  I
can't type ufs:/dev/ad* there because I just get a no such device 'ad'
error.

Is there anything at all that can be done about this?  Or is the problem
in the lack of ATA100 support and I should give up... (?!)

I would really appreciate any help!
Zach Johnson
=)