Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:26:38 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make buildworld

At 12:13 PM 8.7.2002 -0400, Chris BeHanna wrote:
>On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Jack L. Stone wrote:
>
>> Why this:
>>          shutdown -r now
>>          # (make sure the system comes up)
>>          shutdown -r now
>>          # (come up in single-user mode this time)
>>
>> Rather than this?
>> Drop to single user mode:
>>     # shutdown +10 "ALERT Upgrading the OS. Please log off now."
>>     # reboot
>>     # hit spacebar at timer notice to stop boot
>>     # boot -s
>>     # fsck -p
>>     # mount -u /
>>     # mount -a -t ufs
>>     # swapon -a
>
>    If the new kernel has a problem, you won't get any warning with
>your method.  It's easier to back out a bad kernel than a bad
>installworld.  Furthermore, fsck -p is superfluous given a clean
>shutdown (although it certainly doesn't hurt).
>
>--
>Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com
>Principal Consultant
>PennaSoft Corporation
>chris@pennasoft.com

No, no... I was only referring to your multi-user boot method vs
single-user. I just didn't show what I do before the boot. Of course, I
ALWAYS test the new kernel first, like so showing step #5 down to #8 again:

5) Compile and install the new kernel:
    # cp kernel kernel.org

6) Compile the kernel.
    # cd /usr/src
    # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

7) Install the new kernel.
    # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

8) Drop to single user mode:
    # shutdown +15 "ALERT Upgrading the OS. Please log off now."
    # reboot
    # hit spacebar at timer notice to stop boot
    # boot -s
    # fsck -p
    # mount -u /
    # mount -a -t ufs