Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 05:21:49 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>, frank@exit.com, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security through obscurity? (and /etc/defaults/rc.conf changes)

Thus spake Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>:
> David Schultz wrote:
> > Aah...we'd better put uucp back in the base system, then.  Never mind
> > that it might have security problems that we don't know about.  :P
>
> I can guarantee you that having a computer booted has security
> problems that we don't know about, so the logical thing to do,
> from that persepective, is to power everything off.
>
> 8^p back at ya...

That would, of course, be impractical.  If you want to take everything
to extremes, the other option is to ignore security entirely.

Statistically, it makes sense not to leave potentially insecure fluff
lying around unless removing the fluff would be vastly inconvenient.

The whole business of what is enabled by default is of particular
concern because many FreeBSD users are not Unix gurus.  You learned
Unix before security was a major concern, but many people don't have
that advantage.  The defaults should afford a reasonable degree of
security, and people should be able to turn on other features as they
begin to understand them.  I am not proposing to create a system that
is virtually unusable by default, a la OpenBSD, but it is not
unreasonable to disable by default a feature that most people do not
use.  People who want and understand the feature can turn it on
easily enough.