Date:      Thu, 4 May 1995 08:14:56 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Translators needed urgently!

> > > I'm going for only the european languages as I'm not certain I'll be
> > > able to fit the Japanese fonts on the first floppy.  I can certainly
> > > do ISO-8859-1, which gets me pretty much all the european ones, and
> > > koi8 is also small.  If I *can* manage Japanese then I certainly will,
> >   ^^^^
> > Is it possible to support the 2nd russian encoding, CP866 ? Koi-8
> > is popular among Relcom (UUCP and IP - based network) and CP866 is
> > popular among corporate users (for data bases etc.). Really I use
> > Koi-8 for reading of russian e-mail only and I'll throw it away as soon
> > as I'll have installed a converter.
>
> Is CP866 any relation to ISO 8859-5 (I think Cyrillic is '5'...)?

It's "loosely" relation. They have the equal encoding of the second
half of lowercase letters :-) The problem of CP866 is that it uses
codes 128...(128+31) for uppercase letters and has a gap between
halves of lowercase letters (for graphic cheracters in IBM encoding).
8859-5 is likely the same but it has no such gap and everything
before gap is shifted up to the place of the gap. IMO 8859-5 is
best choice but both KOI-8 and CP866 are used for some years (IMHO
_too_ many years for KOI-8) and have big groups of users sticked to
them.

> I think a converter should be relatively easy, as long as all of the
> code points are there.  You could probably do it with a single 'tr'
> command.

Yes but this converter needs to be installed somewhere in internals
of mail subsystem and I don't know how to do that :-(

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Commercial Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia