Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:49:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au (Matthew Thyer)
Cc:        perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build still broken - NOT! - Oh yes it is (was)

> The freebsd-current list has mentioned several times that there are
> problems with both NFS client and server.  I believe that Terry
> recently made some changes to the NFS server code so maybe thats
> not so bad.

My changes are *only* in support of NFS locking, and still require
RPC client calls in the kernel for NFS clients, and rpc.statd and
rpc.lockd changes in user space for NFS servers.

They assert the client locks locally (in a pre-coelesced state), in
case the proxy assertion by the FreeBSD NFS client to the remote
server fails, so they can be backed out without destroying state.

A side effect of this is reduced wire traffic on a local conflict
(assuming the client RPC calls were actually being made), but the
main reason is so the NFS client can reassert the locks correctly
after an NFS server restarts (rpc.statd needs to tell the client
about the reboot).

The local assertion would have the effect of making NFS client locking
work, but only intra-client, not inter-client.

In any case, these changes have not been committed, despite the
fact that they have been run without incident by many people for
two weeks now.  That means other people can't start on the rpc
calling/serving code without a hacked and officially unsanctified
kernel.  8-(.

> I read the cvs-all and freebsd-current list and am waiting for
> a mega commit that fixes NFS! - I'm not holding my breath though 8-)

Other NFS fixes from me (other than trivial onces that I'm sure will
be commited) will have to wait until it's even possible for me to
go through the thing with a fine-tooth-comb.  That's not possible
right now, given the way it's organized, and I'd really hesitate to
add more hack-on-a-hack type "fixes" until I can remove the quotes
from "fixes".  8-(.

> Possibly some of the problems I have seen (corruption of files) are
> related to the recent VM instability which seems to be almost fixed,
> so maybe I should try another NFS mounted make world.

Some of the problems are from here.  Not all of them, and not the big
ones that are really biting you (IMO; others may differ, and if so, I
will be happy to seem them commit their fixes).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.