Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 10:40:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        mdukhan@bis.co.il (Meir Dukhan)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Enabling KTRACE option

Meir Dukhan writes:
> Thanks Greg, I think you get it ;)
>
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>>  If I want to reboot and load my precedent kernel, is all I have to do is
>>>  to give /kernel.old at boot prompt ? (I can't try now, because ppl here
>>>  need mail and telnet).
>>
>>  Check the names you have in /.  Anything startin with /kernel should
>>  be bootable.
>>
>>  As to the other problem: is the boot just slow from start to finish,
>>  or does it hang at some point?  If so, where?  I frequently see
>
> It is just slow and doesn't hang.
>
>>  problems like this with DNS queries.  Are you running named?
>
> You get it!  I'm running named. Do I have to understand that it is a
> known problem ?

Possibly.  That's why I asked:

  If so, where?

> BTW, it seems that the impossibility to telnet is just within the
> 3-5 minutes after the boot, and after that telnet work fine.  Is
> this related to named too ?

This seems all to be pointing in the same direction.  telnet does a
reverse lookup of the caller's IP address.  If named isn't running
correctly, it takes about one minute before it reacts.

Are you permanently connected to the net, or do you have dial on
demand?  Otherwise you might find it better to remove the default
route when you take the connection down.  That way, named *should*
return immediately.

Greg