Date:      17 Sep 1999 15:05:30 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports that don't respect ${LOCALBASE}

 * From: Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>

 * And any USE_IMAKE ports are going to configure themselves to install
 * in the same place as X installed, no matter what X11BASE/PREFIX is
 * set to.

That's what I meant by this paragraph:

 > Also, I didn't attempt changing PREFIX (while leaving LOCALBASE and
 > X11BASE alone) since many software require them being in the same tree
 > with some of its dependencies (like elisp stuff).  Of course, some of
 > those can be fixed, but I wanted to concentrate on the more blatant
 > stuff first.

To clarify, what I did was move /usr/local to /usr/pkg for *all*
ports.  (Note that the dependencies are built as packages during the
same build process -- so if they are built with LOCALBASE=/usr/pkg,
they will install there when they are required as dependencies.)  I
can do the same with XFree86 when it becomes buildable from ports.

For a ports Makefile, PREFIX is used to specify where *this* port
goes; LOCALBASE/X11BASE is for *other* ports (including this one if
PREFIX is not explicitly set).

Satoshi