Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 1999 08:00:33 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "BJ How" <bj-how@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Definition of FreeBSD

>BSD broken down.  If this is truly an acronym what the heck is it =
>(please don't say its nothing, found this out the hardway with VAX, =
>searched all over until I found one book which was actually kind enough =
>to state 'if your looking for what the acronym stands for, don't, one =
>doesn't exist').

   I see that your question about BSD was already answered, so let me answer
your other question...VAX stands for "Virtual Address eXtension", which pretty
well describes the major difference between it and its predecessor, the PDP
(which stands for "Programmed Data Processor").

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com