Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:05:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        Christopher Palmer <cpalmer@jig.ordway.org>, Jack James <indyjj@indy.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: files

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Roelof Osinga wrote:

> Christopher Palmer wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Jack James wrote:
> >
> > > 1.  Will Freebsd run RPM format files?

> Have managed to steer clear from RPM files. But what I've gathered
> is that they were invented to increase user-friendliness. We slackware
> (and its predecessor whose name I can't recall SLR or something) use
> tarballed source files, RPMs are packed executables. IOW they can't
> compile under FreeBSD.

There's an rpm port in /usr/ports/misc/rpm:

peloton: {16} more /usr/ports/misc/rpm/pkg/DESCR
This is the Red Hat Package Manager.

There is also a rpm2cpio converter written in perl. You still need GNU
cpio and gzip, but at least you don't have to install the whole RPM
manager to get the files in an RPM. See
http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/espel/hacks.html

I find the ports/package system much easier to use than the one version of
rpm I tried awhile back.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *