Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 06:51:34 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        msmith@freebsd.org
Cc:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, haro@tk.kubota.co.jp, takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp, current@freebsd.org, acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI megapatch

Hi,

> > Cool.  On some machine, thermal management requires Embedded Controller I/O.
> > Anybody working on this?
>
> Yeah.  I just discovered that I need this.
>
> I haven't look at how operation regions are handled, so I'm not sure how
> hard it's going to be to implement the hooks necessary for this.

Some VAIOs, ThinkPads require this too, luckily my PORTEGE doesn't.
I can test the thermal management code earlier :-)

> There is another major problem here too.
>
> Some complete idiot in the ACPI team decided that the "right" way to
> implement hysteresis for the temperature settings was to have the system
> send a Notify(zone, 0x80) to the thermal zone and then have it re-parse
> it's AML to discover new settings.  This means that you need to keep a
> pointer to the *original* location of the AML for at least some methods
> inside a thermal zone, if not the entire zone itself.
>
> My laptop does this too.  8(

PowerResource code keeps pointers to the PowerResource objects, then
finds a pointer to methods of the object dynamically.  Can we do it in
similar way for thermal management?

> I haven't looked at the ACPICA code yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if
> all the embedded controller stuff is already supported there.  How bad do
> you think it's going to be to make it work?  You've already looked at the
> modifications that the Linux people have made - were they just bug fixes,
> or are there serious problems with the code?

I didn't read closer, but I couldn't find any embedded controller
stuff in both linux-2.4.0-test8 and acpica-unix-20000901 except for
definitions in header files.
Subsystem/Include/acinterp.h:AcpiAmlEmbeddedControllerSpaceHandler in acpica,
drivers/acpi/include/interp.h:acpi_aml_embedded_controller_space_handler in linux.

I guess this function will be implemented in interpreter/amregion.c in future.

Last time I compared only few files and found many differences between
them not only for naming.  I think these two used the same code
originally, but enhanced separately.  Now that it's difficult to
compare them...