Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:48:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   anyone else getting panic: unknown locktype request 12?

I'm running a box that's fairly loaded up with postgresql, mysql, apache,
and Resin (a Java servlet container).  It started having some problems a
few days ago, which I thought I'd corrected with a RAM swap.  Making world
went okay- no problems during the build or install, and it seems like
things will usually go bad during a build if they're going to (though I'm
sure this isn't always the case).

This morning the box has panicked, and here's what I've managed to tell
from the core dump:

IdlePTD at phsyical address 0x00332000
initial pcb at physical address 0x0029e120
panicstr: lockmgr: unknown locktype request 12
panic messages:
---
panic: lockmgr: unknown locktype request 12

And the stack trace (didn't build with -g unfortunately):

#2  0xc015a6a1 in panic ()
#3  0xc0154598 in lockmgr ()
#4  0xc0185473 in vop_stdunlock ()
#5  0xc01fcde5 in ufs_vnoperate ()
#6  0xc018f0ce in vn_read ()
#7  0xc0168f64 in dofileread ()
#8  0xc0168e2a in read ()
#9  0xc02315f1 in syscall2 ()
#10 0xc0224e45 in Xint0x80_syscall ()
(followed by a number of calls off in userland)

The box is running 4.7-stable, last cvs updated at Oct 14 around noon PDT.

Has anyone else seen this panic with 4.7?  If not, am I correct in
assuming that there's no way a locktype request would be read from disk
and trusted without being checked and the next thing to try is replacing
the CPU heatsink and fan?

   Nick