Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:08:21 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, audit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.org, ache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   whois(1) patch for review

hi,

I have made few modifications to whois(1) to shut up BDECFLAGS
warnings, cleanup code, and add new features.

Main aim of this patch is to add flexibility to people
who want to point whois(1) to non-deault whois server,
i.e. have to type "-h server name" many times.

It adds new command line modifier "-c" to declare server code.
Originally it was supposed to point to country's whois
server, but with no modifications can be used for other areas.

For example you can have following string in your whoisservers
configuration file (system wide -- /usr/share/misc/whoiservers
or personal ~/.whoisservers):

local		whois.mydomain.com

To point whois(1) to this server now you need to use

whois -h whois.mydaomin.com XYZ

with patch

whois -clocal XYZ

It also supposed to be used for country's whois servers. For example
with whoisservers.

ru	whois.ripn.net
ua	whois.net.ua

whois -c ru freebsd.org.ru (use -- whois.ripn.net)
whois -c ua freebsd.org.ua (use -- whois.net.ua)

Resume: with this patch included to add new country's whois server
we'll need to add only one string to text file, not to modify
whois(1) code as it has been done by Andrey for '-R' and as
some pending PR's proposed to do.

PS: I also removed -R switch for whois(1) which was used to point
to Russian whois server, since it is replaced with "-c ru"

PPS: It's tested on STABLE, but I don't think that there can be problems
with -current.

PPPS: Patch is dirty threfore any ideas on its cleanup are welcome. Also
additional idea on improving whois(1) flexibility are welcome! I hope to
get some free time on this weekend and commit it if nobody has strong
objections.

http://phantom.cris.net/~phantom/whois_patch.tgz