Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:40:00 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV
Subject:   pkg_version tool, revisited

--==_Exmh_399063936P

Hi all--

A little while ago, I posted a Perl5 script called pkg_version to -hackers
that would produce a report of the installed versions of packages/ports,
comparing them against the INDEX file (either on the local filesystem or
retrieved over the network).  I've made a few changes since then (hopefully
they're improvements), including a manpage.

I'm wondering what's the best way to make the new 'n' improved version
available, in an easier-to-find place than a list posting?  Should I do this
as a port, despite the fact that the script and manpage together are only
about 12KB, and they're fairly FreeBSD-specific?  It seems to me I could
almost package this up in such a way as to make the port self-contained...

This presumes that pkg_version is actually a useful tool.  Three people
(including myself) have found it helpful, and so far no one's complained, so I
assume so.  :-)

Thanks,

Bruce.

PS.  Feedback encouraged.

--==_Exmh_399063936P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNeTVD6jOOi0j7CY9AQHv8AP/XfLAx4MuXu/HRT3fh8Hy2YnmitNvVase
JR0M3EqLZaWG2EI70CUSbVs4cdKLb/+E9uqK4cQ+eXiTfxsr4Qd75xn4ZM4PB3P8
i+DY1JJdjv7wU+2V2yimKKA/3VyOar/CwiGSOyEoXDRn8dc3fgbxkvu2sTDSbxQF
bhmjY0IUIus=
=D6r/
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_399063936P--