Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:39:45 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@criterion.canon.co.uk>
To:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS

Roman Katsnelson wrote:

> On Friday, I changed some DNS info on our server. Today, some servers
> know about this and others don't. That it, nslookup yields the old
> result on some. Is this normal, or should I change something to make it
> propagate faster?

You need to check the serial numbers in the zone files for the primary
server for the domain you control. If you have root access to all the
secondary servers, you can force an update by killing and restarting named
on each secondary. Check /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages on the
primary and secondaries as well. If there is an error in your zone files,
then DNS transfers can be aborted and the errors will be reported in the
relevant log files.

Hope that helps,
Adam.