Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:47:08 +0000
From:      David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Printing via USB

Hi, I have a Epsom printer with a USB port and have configured USB and ulpt
suport in my kernel. When I print I via the parallel port I get output, but
when I try via the ulpt0 port the printer cariage moves for a couple of
seconds, but no output. Anyone any ideas?

I am trying to keep the "lpt" port free for a postscript printer, all though
if anyone knows how to print to a "TCP/IP stream" type network printer that
would me be most useful as well, as the printer has a network port that is
connected and configured.

Below please find the relvent sections from "printcap", kernel config, dmesg
and the input filter script.

Thanks

David.

Kernel entries

	# USB support

	device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface

	device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface

	device          usb             # USB Bus (required)

	device          ugen            # Generic

	# device                uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"

	# device                ukbd            # Keyboard

	device          ulpt            # Printer

	# device                umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
and da

	# device                ums             # Mouse

	# device                uscanner        # Scanners

	# USB Ethernet, requires mii

	# device                aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet

	# device                cue             # CATC USB ethernet

	# device                kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

Relevent Printcap Entry

	lp|Epson Stylus Photo 1200|Default Res 720x720:\

 	       	:lp=/dev/ulpt0:\

  	      	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\

    	    	:lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\

		:af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\

	     	:if=/etc/print/printfilter-720:\

	        :mx#0:\

	        :sh:

Printfilter-720

	#!/usr/local/bin/bash

	PAPERSIZE=a4

	T=a4

	GSDEVICE=uniprint

	RESOLUTION=720x720

	UPP=stc740p

	/usr/local/bin/enscript -l -i -2 -Z -p - |

	/usr/local/bin/gs @$UPP.upp -q $GSOPTIONS -sDEVICE=$GSDEVICE \

    	    -r$RESOLUTION \

    	    -sPAPERSIZE=$PAPERSIZE \

    	    -dNOPAUSE \

   	     -dSAFER \

   	     -sOutputFile=- -

	printf "\004"

	exit 0

Relevent DMESG

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xd400-0xd41f irq 3 at
dev

ice 4.2 on pci0

usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0

usb0: USB revision 1.0

uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

ulpt0: EPSON USB Printer, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1