Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:23:57 +0200 (IST)
From:      Noor Dawod <noor@NetVision.net.il>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw behavior, is it normal?

  Hi..

  Like many others have done before me, this is my first message to this
mailing list and I hope not the last. I've been dealing with FreeBSD for
quite some time now, and I cannot still understand why few ipfw rules
don't work for me. I would like to share it with you and maybe get some
help on it.

  My current ipfw rules are:

00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 allow ip from [machine-a-ip] to [server-ip] via xl0
00300 allow ip from [machine-b-ip] to [server-ip] via xl0
00400 allow ip from any to [server-ip] 80 in via xl0
00500 allow ip from any to [server-ip] 21 in via xl0
65000 allow ip from any to any
65535 deny ip from any to any

  00200 and 00300 seem redundant because of rule 65000. But this is where
all the problem lies. If I understand right the ipfw rules, if I remove
line 65000 from the rules table, then I can still do all ip-related
actions from [machine-a] and [machine-b], which their ip numbers are
listed in 00200 and 00300. But, once I remove line 65000, I cannot do any
ip-related actions on the [server], and even WWW/FTP services are not
served as well.

  What am I missing here, and why the 65000 line MUST be there so that I
could access [server] from [machine-a] and [machine-b] ?

  I apologize if this is not the place to ask such questions, and would
like to be told where to send it instead.

  Thanks for your time and efforts.

  Noor