Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 21:42:20 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Re(2): Standard Shipping Containers - A Proposal for Distributing FreeBSD

Richard Wackerbarth stands accused of saying:
> Here is what's broken:
>
> 1) For the new sup user to get started, sup has to download
> the entire source tree, even though the user already has most
> of it from the tarball or the CD.

This is irrevocable.  The tree on the CD is on a dead-end branch, and
can't trivially be bent back to either of the main threads without
a monster master update.

The proposal of putting the CVS repository on a/the CD is a much smarter
idea.  This would make it practical to check out part or all of the
tree in a state ready to be updated.

> 4) The whole process of setting up a new user is too confusing
> even if they RTFM. It would become much easier to describe the
> process if we eliminate the exceptions.

1. Go to /usr/src
2. say  'sup -v /usr/share/examples/sup/standard.supfile'

Go have a pleasant dinner.

What could be simpler?  ctm is fine for people who want read-only
source, and are willing to carry it all.  sup is much better for people
who like to tinker with their tree.

And consider this: if someone can't manage either ctm or sup, how
the f* do you expect them to do anything useful with the source?