Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:52:35 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetBUI and/or IPX routing?

>> We will be using Netware and NT between segments.  Will this be possible
>> in 2.1?
>
>With NT running SMB (e.g. LANMAN) protocols (e.g. LANMAN) over TCP/IP, you
>can do this already. If you wish to use the FreeBSD box as a file server,
>then chase up the SAMBA port.
>
>> How about in 2.2?
>
>AFAIK "-current" has early IPX support although I've not (yet) tried it.
>
>NETBEUI is unlikely to be supported .. ever .. even MS have (effectively)
>dropped it seriously reducing anyone's interest in making it fly.
>
>This raises a question of mine .. is it possible to have one Novell server
>on one ethernet segment and none on another (workstation) side ? I gather
>that I need to specify a different Novell "network number" on each side of
>the FreeBSD box but does this prevent me from using a "far" server as my
>nearest ?

Emerging Technologies has an add-on product which will route IPX traffic
between ethernet segments (see www.etinc.com/server.htm). Currently,
the product is only available in our Comm board driver, however.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX