Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 01:19:44 -0400
From:      Chris Griffiths <cgriffiths@dca.net>
To:        "D. Michael McFarland" <dmmcf@uiuc.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Emulation <emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Openoffice linux version

D. Michael McFarland (dmmcf@uiuc.edu) wrote:
> I'm probably missing something obvious here, but what changed?  Is
> there a new OO installer available?  I seem to recall something about
> weekly builds from the Codeweavers list, but I'm not keeping up with
> that list too well, either.

The new release of 1.0 was today and the linux version just seems to
work now even using linux_base 6.1.
All my previous attempts launched the install but soon died with a
sigfault.

> > The install works flawlessly, no errors and OO works better than my
> > StarOffice6 beta that I had installed, (It even opened several docs that
> > SO6 had trouble with).  I look forward to a native version, but for the
> > time being I can report that -stable can run OO 1.0.
>
> Can you edit equations in Word?  Graphics?

I have been able to the standard word, excel, powerpoint creations and
was able to edit some more complex versions I had around that SO6 was
giving me problems.  I would suggest trying to install yourself and let
us know if this works in your case.

> Thanks for reporting your success.  I _really_ need something like
> this to work--Word and PowerPoint are taking over around here, and my
> little BSD habit (I can quit any time I want!) is coming to be viewed
> as a problem.

I was getting concerned about the near end to my SO6 beta in June and
needed a replacement asap.  I would much rather run a native version of
OO but we'll have to wait on that a little longer.  Hope it works as
well for you as it did for me.

Later

Chris