Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:02:06 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        darrenr@cyber.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MTU Path discovery.

> I'm want to add a sysctl knob to control this (default to on).
>
> At present, MTU path discovery only seems to be enabled for TCP, but
> I'm reluctant to make it "net.inet.tcp.mtupathdiscovery" as I don't
> want to limit its scope.  However, I'm open for comments about
> whether it should be ip or icmp.
>
> I don't think the current behaviour (is on and cannot be controlled)
> is all that desirable.
>

>From experience: MTU path discovery isn't that all fired reliable. Better
to just set the MTU to the highest guaranteed value on the last outgoing
router under one's control and leave it at that. I can't remember if it's
296. I hate losing my memory :-( The number is in the RFC's. Better to
take the performance hit than not have a reliable connection. The hitch
is blackhole routers.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good