Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:10:57 -0600 (CST)
To:        witr@rwwa.com (Robert Withrow)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

> > The reason I mention this is that I finally got my Internet provider to
> > set me up a static route with a second IP address gatewayed through it.
>
> I was wondering about load balancing several lines?  For example,
> if I could load balance two POTS lines with 28.8 modems, I could
> have the bandwidth of single ISDN at a fraction of the cost.  With
> four lines I could have bonded ISDN performance, again at a fraction
> of the cost.
>
> Does anyone do this.  Can FreeBSD do this?

don't count on even close to that level of performance.  the phone companies
routinely use adaptive compression that highly effects v.34 modems.  where i'm
at, it will sometimes fall back to as low as 4800 baud...  where i was at a
few months ago, it would usually stop falling back around 21.6kbaud, so it does
vary from site to site.  i think that with the advent of v.34 modems and the
availability of isdn, they may be forcing deeper fallbacks in order to get v.34
owners to get isdn.  i would not put that kind of trick past ma bell, would
you?  southwestern bell for instance routinely goes to the texas puc attempting
to charge more for modems on voice lines, so far, the puc has not given in.

brain food...

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or